Thursday, November 27, 2014

Thanksgiving 2014

Somehow, I took exactly zero pictures of either of our familial gatherings this year! I guess I was too focused on cooking, eating and napping after turkey!

We have enjoyed the same family traditions every year (with maybe one or two exceptions) since we were married. Thankfully we have family who understand it's less about an exact date and more about being together. In our growing-up years, Thanksgiving was Mike's family's BIG holiday and Christmas was my family's. So, we decided our very first year as Mr. & Mrs. that we would make a point to spend Thanksgiving Day with his family and Christmas Day with mine. It's worked well for us and I'm thankful we have family who are just happy we get to be together sometime over the holidays!!

So, as I was saying, we spend Thanksgiving Day with Mike's side of the family at our house. I make the turkey and dressing and a number of other goodies! And everyone brings whatever their little heart's desire to go along with the birdy. We never go hungry and enjoy each others company immensely! It's been a lot of fun these past couple of years with two new babies being welcomed into the Williams gang. I'm so thankful we all love each other and have loads of fun together. I know it's a rare blessing. And, to sweeten the deal, Mike's baby sister has a birthday on or near Thanksgiving, so we get to celebrate her then too!

On the Saturday following T-Day, we gather at my parents' house and do it all over again! We love being able to retreat to the country and turn the girls loose in the woods. We eat like royalty and revel in good conversation until late! Outside of the three people the Lord has placed in my little family, my Momma, Daddy and Brother are far and above my favorite people. I love them like crazy!

One of the most fun things for me about Thanksgiving this year was having Gracie in the kitchen with me. She has spent the past few holiday seasons helping and watching, but this year she picked out her own recipes, made her grocery list and prepared them all herself! It was the tiniest glimpse of her 10....let's make it 15 ;)....years from now as she and her own family gather to celebrate Thanksgiving with us! I definitely don't want to rush into that season, but there was something beautiful and comforting to me to know that just because she won't be little forever doesn't mean we can't still enjoy these holidays and times together as Mother and Daughter. She is such a beautiful blessing to me. She made several different things. She's like her Daddy in that, she loves to bake and create sweet treats. A few of her delicious offerings: Cranberry Pie, Apple Cake, & Pumpkin Bread.

Autumn has only a small interest in the kitchen happenings so far. She's far happier romping around outside with her little cousins!

I do regret that I don't have any pictures, but at least I have the memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment